Friday, September 18, 2009

It's Fall

At last, it has rained, the days are finally below 100 degrees, partner/husband's beloved Phillies are making their way into the playoffs and we went to an Austin sectional yesterday placing in two sessions. I am a great believer in omens. However, partner/husband has zoomed 4.5 points ahead of me in the Ace of Clubs race. I'm meditating and doing yoga to deal with this. So far, the zen state is eluding me but I have only whined about it occasionally. Housework today and back to Austin tomorrow with the hope that our streak keeps rolling.

We have both received great advice from the masters who occasionally play as our partners. Husband/partner has been told to take both hands into consideration when bidding and not just his own. I have been advised to stop dumping on partner/husband when he makes a mistake. We have agreed to go back to friend Steve's suggestion. When one partner takes exception to a lead/bid/play etc., he/she requests the other partner to "circle it" on the score sheet for later discussion. This is code for "stop discussing now; I'm getting upset; I don't want to hear about it; I know I messed up; NOT NOW PLEASE" or all of the above. Sometimes the offending partner has to say "circle it; circle it; CIRCLE IT!!!" before the ranting partner finally stops talking. Granted, this doesn't happen often but we are working on better partnership manners. Teacher Everette always reminds his classes that dumping on partner results in losing partner for at least three tables. I can testify to the truth of this from my time as dumpee. I'm not ALWAYS the dumper.

The good news is that, for me, my joy in playing the game no matter the result seems to have returned. It came back, of all things, when playing with Biig Al last week. We didn't have a good game but had a big load of fun playing together. Biig Al and dementor Robert had been on a road trip stealing gold from the Bostonians at a regional in New England. Meanwhile husband/partner fed Al's cat and I cleaned the litter box. The cat is not crazy about women so I stayed out of the way while husband/partner played with her. Mostly, she would look at me and run under the bed. Anyway, I told Biig Al he owed me a game. I forgot to mention that he owed me a game where we actually made points. As far as I am concerned, he hasn't paid up yet.

Okay - off to dusting and vacuuming - way less fun than playing bridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment