Wednesday, September 23, 2009

It's Always Something

I thought I made a particularly brilliant bid today. With 5 hearts to the 10 and 4 good spades and a total of about 9 points (pushing it to count a singleton queen), I opened a Flannery 2 diamonds. Left hand opponent asked husband/partner about my bid. Husband/partner gave the 5 heart/four spade/11-15 point correct explanation. LHO doubled and good partner/husband bid 2 spades. Right hand opponent bid 3 clubs and I bid 3 spades as a suicide bid knowing there was no way I would make it but figuring that they had something more than 100. I went down two.  We opened the traveler and the opponents were making 3 NT on all previous boards. Left hand opponent felt cheated in that I had nine measleys and she had counted on at least 11 and quit bidding. I felt bad but thought I had made a brilliant defensive bid. Not so fast Ms. Novice.

At our encouragement, LHO called our fave tournament director, Tom, who was directing the game. I got a lecture (one of many helpful ones from Tom) on how "psyching" is not legal in a 2 suited opening convention. In other words, I had to have at least 11 HCPs to use it and anything else incurred a penalty. Oh no!!! Just when I think I'm being brilliant, I mess up our game. How typical.  The problem is, if someone told me I had to make a psych bid, I wouldn't have the slightest idea how to do it. I didn't know it was wrong in this case nor did I know I had "psyched" but ignorance of the law..... you know the rest. Tom made what I thought was a fair ruling for both parties but warned me that he would remember and if I did it again, the penalty would be far more severe. 

Now, if I can just remember the point count for opening Flannery is 11 and not 9, I'll be fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment