Monday, January 24, 2011

Yet Another Bridge Cruise

There are no bad bridge cruises.  Okay, maybe if the ship was taken over by pirates or the Norovirus but, other than that, there is no downside to playing fave game on a big boat.  John Sobol of Go Away Travel, as usual, worked his magic so that everything ran smoothly, or, if it didn't, the glips weren't visible to me.  Darlene and Steve Shirey, the directors, were their usual warm, wonderful selves although I overheard Darlene, at one point, mumbling about making an "over the side" list.  I hope I wasn't on it.

The pros, Eddie Wold and Bob Morris, brought along a contingent of very good players from Houston.  We had planned the trip together with friend/partner Rebecca and her husband, Jerry.  By the time of the cruise, about a dozen other San Antonio and New Braunfels (little town near San Antonio) players  had joined us.  The last pair to join the cruise, LaNelle and Betty Jo, strafed the field with the highest point total on the cruise.  Take that Houston!

Eddie and Bob team taught and the lessons were pitched so that the newest player to the best club player, other than the AX types, could get something out of them.  They were excellent.  Partner/husband and I picked up some new toys which we put into use while on the cruise, including upside down signals.   That will take a while to get right.  We didn't tear it up but came away with a little partial point - pretty good for a cruise ship which, traditionally, is not a big point getter.  At one point, we had  a 37 percent game.  Director Steve said, "What kind of score is that for a life master?"  I said, "Our usual!"  Part of the Post Life Master slump I explained.  Darlene was kind enough to agree.

The following story puts bridge on a cruise ship into its proper perspective.  Partner/husband opened a club.  I bid a spade with 6 of them.  Partner husband bid a one no trump.  I rebid my spades.  Partner/husband laid a 3 spade bid on the table, looked at it, and then said, "Wait a minute" and then picked it up, thought for a while and laid down 2 NT.  I waited but the opponents quietly passed with no director call.  Hmmm.  I wanted to bid 3 spades but didn't  feel that I could ethically do so.   I bid my 4 card diamond suit.  Partner/husband bid 3 NT.  Normally, I would have pulled it to spades since entries to my hand were limited but, again, I couldn't take any inference from his misbid.  He made 3 NT but it was low board to a nice 4 spade game.  When I asked the opponents why they didn't call the director they said, "It's boat bridge - who cares?"  How sane is that?  I'm glad they got a good board out of it.

My Tuesday partner, Carol, and her roommate, Nell, had a contest to see who could lose more of their stuff on the boat.  Nell won but Carol, sadly, lost her iphone.  79 year old Nell, on the other hand, got two temporary spider tattoos on her arm and rastafarian beads braided into her snow white hair to the absolute horror of similarly aged LaNelle, who kept telling her to take them out.  Carol ordered wine at dinner and then, to the shocked embarrasment of the waiter,  rooted around under her shirt to get her sea pass card out of her bra.  I love those women and, I hope, as I age along with them that I'll remain as free spirted as they are.

The last cruise day, Saturday, traditionally is a Swiss Team event.  We planned to play with friends Jerry and Rebecca, of course.  Jerry has played rubber bridge for many years but is somewhat mystified by the intensity and bidding systems of duplicate.  They offered to drop out and let us get better teammates.  Not gonna happen!  We won the first round, lost the second and for some reason, came up against one of the very good Houston teams in the third.  To my profound shock, we beat them!  We won 2 rounds and lost three but got Jerry up to about .8 toward his first masterpoint.  Celebration.

The high point of my week occured when I decided to start a round at a table with Eddie Wold and a Houston player partner.  I landed in a 3 NT contract, and made 4.  I got a "nicely played" from Eddie. YOWZA!!!! 

The week was a whole boatload of fun.


No comments:

Post a Comment