Thursday, January 27, 2011

All Kinds

The bridge world contains both the great and good and the bad and ugly just like the rest of life, I guess.  Yesterday, I was in a doubled 4 heart contract.  The last trick, which set the contract, was taken by left hand opponent.  As she presented her good diamond with a flourish she said, "HAH! Got YA!"  I said, "That isn't very nice".  Her response was, "Oh don't get so upset; IT'S JUST A GAME"; my least favorite way to describe bridge.  I asked her if she played rubber bridge since I had seen neither she nor her partner in the club before.  Her partner (who seemed like a decent person) said "No" and gloating woman said "Yes - I play all card games".  I said, "Well that figures.  That's the kind of behavior you get in rubber games".   Gloating woman became huffy and said, "I've been playing duplicate since before you were born".  The answer to that, of course, is, "Gee, I thought you would have learned table manners in 66 years" but I didn't say it.  Off she went to annoy the next opponents.  Ick.

No comments:

Post a Comment