Wednesday, August 19, 2009

The Riot at the Hyatt

Here is what happened at our first Nationals:


The Nationals in Houston this year were a driveable distance away. Not having to get on a plane to go anywhere is always a good thing so husband/partner and I decided to check out the big leagues. By the time we made this decision, there were no rooms available at the host hotel, the Hilton. We used some points to stay at a nearby Hyatt.

As we checked in, I noticed a HUGE banner over the entrance saying “Welcome NCAA Players”. Being an astute novice bridge player, not much escapes my notice (except a laydown slam possibly), and I immediately became aware of a lobby full of young athletes in all shapes and sizes. The desk clerk explained that they were college volley ball, track and field, wrestling and swimming teams from all over the country in town for a meet. I must have looked concerned so she assured us that the coaches had signed agreements that the students would be in their rooms and quiet by 11 P.M.

We chatted with students in the elevators, wished them luck in the morning, asked how they did in the evening before and after we toddled over to the Hilton to PLAY IN THE NATIONALS! We say this to all our social or non bridge playing friends and they are sutitably impressed. They don’t know that we played in some 299er games there and only placed once. We don’t share that info.

Thursday and Friday night were quiet with all the students, as promised, in their rooms by the time we returned after the evening pairs session. Saturday, the meet finished up and we returned to the Hyatt at about 12:30 A.M. with a Swiss team scheduled for 9 A.M. the next day. The lobby was packed with hundreds of kids, the bar had kids on top of kids (so much for a quiet late nightcap) and there were kids on every floor on the balcony/hallways overlooking the lobby.

At 1 A.M., the noise hadn’t abated. I called the desk and asked if the hotel staff could quiet things down a bit. They apologized and said that security would take care of it and they did.

At 2:30 A.M. weird chanting awakened me. I looked out the door and there were hundreds of athletes in the lobby and more on every balcony/hallway overlooking the lobby and they were chanting something back and forth with the sound reverberating and magnifying through the open construction of the hotel. Students were running around outside our door, beer cans were flying, girls were shreiking and boys were yelling. I started dialing the front desk and got only a busy signal. I pushed every button on the phone and no one answered any line.

At 3 A.M. things were getting worse out there and husband/partner was throwing clothes on saying ‘I’ll go out there and take care of THIS!’ I threw myself in front of the door and reminded him that there were 18 year old, very buff, fit wrestlers out there. He wouldn’t have a chance and I didn’t want to have to look for a new partner after his funeral.

Worried about the hotel staff and the safety of the players, fearing that one of them would go over a balcony and end up splattered on the lobby floor 14 stories below, I called 911.

“911 what’s your emergency.”

“I am a guest at the Hyatt hotel and there is a riot going on.”

“A riot?”

“Spring breakers are out of control destroying the place and no one at the front desk or security will answer. I’m worried the kids have hog tied the staff and taken over.”

“What is the address of the hotel?”

“Louisiana Street.”

“How do you spell that?”

“Like the state.”

“Ma’am you have to spell it.”

More screaming outside the door with someone pounding on our connecting door to the next room shouting “Anna’s naked in there!”

“L O U I S I A N A” I not so patiently spelled.

Then, smelling smoke I stupidly said, “and – I smell smoke”.

Already sounding annoyed with me, the 911 operator said, “I’m connecting you to fire” and clicked off while I was yelling “no no no I need the police!!!”

The fire lady calmly said that she would dispatch police and fire which she did without asking me to spell anything. What a good person.

Within five minutes, large specimens of Houston’s finest showed up with big clubs and guns shouting “Get in your room or we will take you to jail”. Within ten minutes, it was blessedly quiet.

We played our Swiss the next morning on three hours sleep and came in second. We now think we play better sleep deprived. Our A player friends say we couldn’t be much worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment