Wednesday, August 19, 2009

A Novice Triumph

I was so happy the day after this happened that I wrote the following:

Partner husband and I consider ourselves novices still although we have now been playing for about a year and a half and have reached the exalted heights of 85 masterpoints.

In the weeks before the San Antonio Regional, the source of the highly desirable red MPs, and the remote possibility of gold, we decided to do a lot of playing at our local clubs for practice. We had added Flannery to our list of conventions and tweaked our 2 club responses. The jury was still out on whether we liked Flannery or not, having misbid it twice in addition to giving the opponents the wrong point count for it (I’m very bad with numbers). We slumped with not only 30ish percent games, but one very wretched game in the 20s. Our friends, the A and B players (we call them sharks – lovingly though) asked, “What’s with you guys anyway?” We had no answer. We took two days off from playing trying to let our wounded egos heal a bit and then headed off to the first night’s play at the Regional.

We played well but did not place. The next day – choice pairs – third in C overall – wooeee! Success is ours. We each won a two dollar bill to offset the cost of the game – riiiiight. The next day’s choice pairs were less than stellar for us. That evening, a Swiss was scheduled and we went into the 299er room, dragged out a pair from Austin and talked them into playing with us. We really liked them both when we played in their club and thought that they play extremely well. They were skeptical that they had the ability to play with the big players but we assured them that the directors matched up teams by skill level. We should have checked that out.

The table assignments were up when we bought our entry. I thought that was odd since there seemed to be no match up by MP points since there was no way the directors could know who would be sitting at which table. I decided to keep quiet. Swiss are way more fun than side games and I didn’t want to lose our shaky partners. I got the table assignment and sent our friends off to sit east/west at the opposing team’s table. We had a nice game; nothing great but we didn’t embarrass ourselves.

Back came our teammates, Sharon and Ken, Sharon looked wide eyed stunned. “Do you know who we just played against?” Ken said, “I thought you told us they matched the teams by masterpoints?” He sounded a little angry and I thought to myself, ‘Uh oh; the end of a budding friendship”. Sharon said, “Eddie Wold – you know the Eddie Wold that has a million MPs and writes a bridge column?” Holy cow. I calmed them down and we managed to explain imp scoring to them and get our total. Minus 6. They were crushed. “No, no, no! Minus six against Eddie Wold’s team?”, I shouted bouncing up and down in my chair. “That is AMAZINGLY good!” They looked at me as if I had lost my mind.

We lost the next by round one imp, explaining to partners that a one imp swing is not that important. They still looked at us like we were nuts. We are, but usually succeed in disguising it. We lost another one but won the last round by plus 11 and placed third in C netting 1.45 of the coveted red.

Phew. We redeemed ourselves. Sharon and Ken learned about imps and better yet, learned that they can sit at a table with an incredible player and hold their own. We exchanged phone numbers and made plans to play again when we next end up at an event together.

When I went to the desk to check out our score, a friend from our club said, “HEY, I heard you did will against the Wold team”. I gave full credit to Sharon and Ken and then told them that they were the talk of the night. Today, I love this game.

No comments:

Post a Comment