Monday, April 11, 2011

The Other Side

The good news is, your blogger made it through the procedure and out of the hospital, much to her surprise so, there is no bad news.  My doctor wondered why I showed up if I thought I was going to expire on the table.  The answer is, the same reason I play bridge; expect the worst, hope for the best, and be pleasantly surprised when things actually work out the way you want them to.

When I lay down a dummy with 5 points and 2 small trump, my partner, Paula, always says in a very delighted voice, "Thank you, partner, that's lovely".  I call her Tigger, after the always happy hyperactive tiger in Winnie the Poo.  I look at a dummy and, usually in no trump, wonder, sometimes aloud, how in the world I am going to make it.  Then, I roll 6.  She calls me Eeyore, after the clinically depressed donkey friend of Winnie the bear. 

Last week, my 99 year old (would have been 100 in July), mother in law, Reba Hoffman, died quietly in her bed.  She said she didn't want to be 100 and has been asking for the past few years why she was still here on earth to which partner/husband and I had no real answer.  We had to cancel some team games we had planned in the Kerrville sectional to take her back to Philadelphia to be buried next to her beloved husband.  Again, the good wishes and support from everyone in the bridge community meant the world to both of us.

Thanks to all of you and we are so happy to be a part of this group.

No comments:

Post a Comment