Friday, April 15, 2011

PREDICTABILITY

Husband/partner had a game with mysterioso Kim last Tuesday night and scored big - first overall with a 60 plus percentage.  Prior to the first hand, Kim provided a quick explanation of his unusual approach to the game which husband/partner absorbed and, obviously, carried out well.  After the game, he said to Kim, "I'll put our card into the computer program and print one out for you in case we play again".  Kim said, "Don't bother.  We will be doing something different next time."

Kim has told me in the past that I am too predictable.  I believe the advice went something like this: "Psych or something once in a while - it would be good for you".  My approach to the game has always been that sound bidding keeps partner from guessing what you might have and also, keeps partners.  I don't know how to psych anyway.  I play different systems with different partners but nothing as different as what Kim plays.  The conventional wisdom around the club is, ignore his bidding and bid your hand because you won't be able to figure out what he is doing even if you ask for an explanation.  I have found this to be true.

My stability has always been my greatest asset.  People have always said, "You have a good head on your shoulders."  For most of my life, I would have traded that for a "You look gorgeous" but, sadly, I would know it to be a lie anyway so I take comfort in my apparent stability.  Who knew it would become yet another bridge liability?

Kim wins way more games than I do.  I need to think about this.  I wonder if there is a program to teach psyching in bridge.  Off to google.

No comments:

Post a Comment