Friday, November 5, 2010

Inexplicable

I am usually not much of an optimist about human nature in general, BUT, I can't even imagine that someone would get out of bed in the morning and head off for the bridge club thinking to themselves, "Today, I am going to drop a big blob of misery into one of my fellow bridge players' life".  Maybe some people do and this is the only explanation for the behavior I see or, perhaps, I'm just not smart enough to figure out the real reason this stuff happens.

Partner/husband and I were defending a hand when the declarer called for the good King of Clubs from the board.  He pulled the five of hearts, a trump, out of his hand, exposed it, and the card hit the table but did not detach from his hand.  He then said, "Oh, I didn't mean to do that" and put the card back into his hand.  I pointed out that the card had been played and he said, "No, it never touched the table" (like that matters).  I called the director.  The gentleman proceeded to explain his version that the card hadn't touched the table and, as I was about to disagree with that, he looked at me and said, "Well, maybe it did but it never left my hand".  The director ruled that the card had been played.

The gentleman (and I use the term only in the polite sense since he is clearly not) then growled in my direction, "You must really need masterpoints".  I replied, "Sir, you either play the game by the rules or you don't play".  He then regrowled, "Yep, you need those points; I can smell it".  My hand shot up and I called the director back to the table.  I asked her to tell the man to stop bothering me.  She directed him to cease all conversation with me.  He replied, "Don't worry about it.  I don't want to talk to HER".

This is one of the reasons I wouldn't make a good director.  I would have fined the SOB 3 matchpoints just for that. 

Later, I overheard him discussing the incident with his partner.  He asked partner if he had seen the exposed card and partner said that he had.  The player then said, "Well, I guess I didn't have a leg to stand on, did I" and his partner agreed that he hadn't.  Do you think grumpy old man wandered my way at any time that day and offered an apology?  Nope.  What I really don't understand is why people partner with someone who is so obviously obnoxious.  If all of us refused to play with people who violate zero tolerance, wouldn't the bridge world be a nice place to live?

No comments:

Post a Comment