Monday, April 5, 2010

Where have you been?

That's the question recently from our usual opponents at the club.  Husband/partner contracted a severe cold after we returned home from the germ factory; I mean cruise ship.  The week after that, I got it.  The week after that (bad timing), the renovation team started deconstructing husband/partner's circa 1970 odious green bathroom.  So, that was 3 weeks of no bridge except for an occasional night game and the Austin sectional where, on Saturday, three of us were sleep deprived after reaching the finals of the Friday knockout and the fourth team member had previously mentioned bad cold.  I was feeling guilty that we had given it to her.  Anyway, mixed results in Austin.

Obviously, no bridge, no blog and I'm getting complaints.  To sign off today, here are my newest bridge laws:

If you absolutely can't wait to take a bathroom break one moment longer, you have just played a slow pair and you are the dealer on the next board.  It never fails.

If your partner bids a club and you have 6 points, the 2 and 3 of clubs, and no suit,  and if you put on your big boy or girl panties and bid 1 NT, you get left there always. 

If you think to yourself, "Wow, we seem to be having a good game today"; the next pair to play will be the AX Hessels and you go down in flames.  The bridge goddess loves to take away all hope and any whiff of cockiness is grounds for zero boards as punishment.

My fave game tonight, the pro AM at Turtle Creek.  Husband/partner and I are about 20 points away from not being AMs any more (200 is the cutoff for that game).  I am playing with former dementor Robert and husband/partner with Biig Al.  I may let you know how it goes but probably not.

No comments:

Post a Comment