Friday, April 23, 2010

Two Over One? Maybe!

I read the Two over One book over the past few weeks and, today, I am going to try two over one and one no trump forcing when friend/partner, Rebecca, and I play.  I told friend/partner Fran yesterday that I was ready to start using that system (having aced the end of chapter quizzes in the book which I know means nothing in real world play) and she promptly told me she wanted to use new minor forcing also.  After a quick explanation, I said I would make every effort to remember it.  Of course, I blew the system twice but Fran is nice and patient and said she will make more play dates with me for which I am always grateful.  Only once did one no trump forcing come up and, of course, I failed to announce it having forgotten it completely.  Oh well, try, try again today.

Rebecca invited me to join a small group of very good bridge players who, twice  month, magically travel to bridgemaster Wayne's world for lessons.  They had been together for quite some time prior to my joining and I am struggling to catch up. They are also way better than I am.   Much of the material is so complex that I just can't process it, but, I'm thinking that if I just listen for a while, maybe it will start to make sense.  To my great surprise, some of it is and on the last quiz I didn't get EVERYTHING wrong which was progress.  Husband/partner is worried that the new stuff which I'm starting to learn will screw up our partnership.  I keep assuring him that isn't possible but, actually, we have been doing much better together and planning some KOs in New Orleans to attempt to get some of that mythical gold. 

I have somehow scrabbled my way up to 195 points.  I never thought I would ever get even near 200 and life master, at the start, seemed an impossibility.  If any newbies out there are still reading this sporadic blog, hang in there.  As all of the great players and masters told us at the beginning, table time pays off as well as classes, reading tons of bridge books and Mike Lawrences's counting program.  I only wish I had the time to start a new quilt project.  Maybe next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment