Friday, December 18, 2009

Happy Holidays

For the last two nights of Hannukah, partner/husband took off for Las Vegas for a medical meeting.  Knowing this was coming up, I scheduled two games for the days he was gone; one with friend, Rebecca, and the other with biig Al hoping against hope to pick up a point or two to at least try to close the 6.5 point gap before the end of the year.  Biig Al and I hadn't been doing too well lately in our games together although I still pick his brain for great bon mots of bridge play and always come away learning something or other.

Friend Rebecca and I had played only once or twice previously but had a great day Thursday and were first in C and B scoring a nice, respectable 1.87 for which we were both high fived by director Tom.  I love playing bridge with Rebecca; two mouthy  New York babes with the same aggressive style. 

Friday, Biig Al was up.  I hid all his double and redouble cards to keep us out of trouble.  He found them anyway but really played a great game and I didn't do anything ridiculously stupid.  Much to my shock, we were second in A with a really nice pickup of 2.25 points.   The highest compliment from Biig Al today was, "I feel like I'm playing with Robert", (my dementor and his usual partner).  At least I THINK it was a compliment.  It came after I had bid back two suits to try to keep partner out of trouble in the suit he continued to bid which I didn't have.  The problem was, I had only 2 queens, one in each suit I bid but I did have 2 doubletons; technically stretching my hand to six.  The opponents took the contract, as they should have, but Al kept leading my suits to get to my hand.  He was beyond frustrated that I had nothing and finally said, "What the heck were you bidding on?"  and then made the Robert comment.  I laughed but I'm not sure I should have.  A lot of bridge stuff makes me laugh when it doesn't make me cry.  It's definitely not a game for manic depressives.  A strong psyche is critical.

The gap between me and partner/husband now stands at 2.5 for the year and, for a couple of days, I can actually skip my zen meditation which I use to deal with this issue .  I am coping.  Partner/husband was off last night to play the poker machines in Vegas.  I think that's probably the end of our retirement fund.  I wonder if I can get work playing bridge like the pros do?  That would be a wonder, wouldn't it?  More likely, I'll be reactivating my nursing license.  I hear there's a shortage again.  I can probably make enough for bridge fees and lose weight by not buying food.  Priorities, priorities.

I hope all my readers have a wonderful holiday filled with joy and love and, of course, great hands in the New Year, as long as they aren't against me.



2 comments:

  1. Dementor (Robert Barber)December 24, 2009 at 9:33 AM

    Judy,

    I truly think that Biigal's comment about feeling like he felt he was playing with Robert is a compliment. After all when he and I play he NEVER tells me he feels like he is playing with Judy......so good job!!!!

    Merry Christmas to you and Steve.

    ReplyDelete