Saturday, December 26, 2009

2009 Awards

Happy New Year readers.  Since partner/husband is ending the year 1.5 ahead in the Ace of Clubs race, for which I sincerely and heartily congratulate him, I decided to give out awards in lieu of receiving any. 

Best Suggestions for my Blog:     Webmaster Steve who suggested this awards installment.

Most Mysterious Bidding System:     Biig Al and dementor Robert's Italian blue team method which has everyone in the club, sometimes including Biig Al and Robert, confused.

Most Mysterious Bidder:     Great  player Kim who passes with 18 points in his hand and then sets the opponent doubled and vulnerable for a top board.

Best Food:     Biig Al's Monday salmon with his homemade sauce.

Worst Food:   Doesn't exist -  I can't award this one since I eat anything and usually enjoy whatever it is.  New Year's resolution - more exercise - less cookies at the club.

Worst Game:    Any free game with food provided where every bridge player in town shows up, the club is packed wall to wall  with people, the AC can't keep up, and I get claustrophobic.

Best Game:     The newly started Pro/Am game on Monday night at Turtle Creek.  I like this one best since dementor and I beat the team of husband/partner and Biig Al the other night.

Best Newbies:   The partnership of Ann and Dee who rolled in 20 plus gold and a bunch of red at their first National.

Worst Dressed:     The guy at Nationals with neon green shirt, bright, shiney glowing blue shorts, black socks and shoes.  He was obviously, trying to distract the opponents with the getup.  No one's taste is that bad.

Best Dressed:     The woman kibbitzer with a couple of Polish guys at an Austin Regional.  She wore a miniskirt, a sheer low cut blouse and had legs that went up to her neck crossed in front of her for maximum view of the parts.  Partner/husband and I got three bad boards.  I'm not saying why.

Best Sense of Humor:    Expert Player Terry hands down on this one.  He says five words or so and cracks me up with his terse, dry wit.

Most Easily Heard Director:   Tie between Director Tom and Biig Al.  Neither needs a mike or silence in the room to be understood.  Both can be easily heard when exasperated while adjudicating at another table.

Best Sentence Overheard from a Director at Another Table (not saying who):   "Let me say this again as SLOWLY as I can so that you can understand it".  That was a frustrated tired director but I fell off my chair laughing.

Best Director Story:  At Nationals, partner/husband was chatting with a director and asked him what is his biggest problem in directing at these huge events.  Director replied, "You won't believe it.  People come up to me and say, 'I can't find my partner'.   I ask what partner's name is and they say 'Debby'."  I always thought it took some smarts to play this game but apparently not.  We should have done way better out there in San Diego.

Most Intrepid:     Tie between two very brave, resilient women, Judy and Rosalie who both made it back to play after serious health issues. 

Best Song:   Director Tom who was heard wandering through the club singing "I hate bridge; I hate bridge" sort of under his breath but I heard him and didn't believe it for a sec.

Best Laugh:  Great Player David who stops play in the room when he starts laughing after I sarcastically tell partner/husband that he is a "bridge genius".  I always forget that "thank you partner" thing but I'll get it eventually.  Meanwhile, I entertain David.

Best of the Best:  All the San Antonio bridge players over the past year who have given me advice, told me what I did wrong on a hand, explained that I need an attitude adjustment, and particularly those who have consented to play with me as a partner with the hope that I am capable of learning the game.  Thank you everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment