Sunday, October 4, 2009

Taking a Break

Husband/Partner's Phillies limped into the playoffs in the east, collapsing badly at the end of the season. Tony Romo and the "Girls" (husband/partner's name for the Dallas Cowboys when they are less than stellar) are not spectacular so far this season. Coach Pop is in the media saying that he is "very pleased with the Spurs team this year". This is code for "out after the first round of the playoffs". My NY Giants are doing well though. The kids call any Giants/Cowboys game the divorce bowl and make postgame phone calls to check that the marriage is still intact.

Our bridge playing however poses more danger than the divorce bowl ever has. It rained 4 inches last night but it has not rained points or, more importantly, decent play all week. The awful, horrid, embarrassing debacle at the NAOP event yesterday was the last straw. We decided to take a break from bridge. We both wonder if it is worth it when we feel so awful after such a wretched game at the end of a pitiful week. We have committments to other partners which we will honor including team games at the club sectional next week but we will not be playing otherwise.

We decided to find out how much we miss playing. We are also trying to analyse what happened this past week after feeling as if our game was on a good upward track. We decided to do some more bridge book reading and studying the game.
I am looking forward to playing with Biig Al next Tuesday because it is always fun. He covers for my dumb mistakes and makes my lemon bids into lemonade. I am extremely fortunate to know a few other women who are great for me to partner with and learn from. I hope those games will continue. Give up the game altogether? My internal jury is still out.
to be continued.

2 comments:

  1. Robert Barber (DEMENTOR)October 6, 2009 at 1:53 AM

    As a person who has quit this fine game of ours I understand your frustration. However let it be known that no matter what your skill level, bridge is the most humbling game known to man. Whenever I have had the audacity to think that I know anything at all about this game it throws you curves, spitballs and sliders causing you to want to pull your hair out. At other times every finesse you make is correct, every bid just seems to be the correct bid, partner looks at the dummy and really means it when he says "thank you" partner. Life is good. I do know one thing....whenever I give up the game something happens to make my insides churn. I long to pick up "any" 13 cards just to see how I would play them. You'll see. We have all been there at one time or another. As I have told you many times.... hold your head up and know that you have learned a lot more in the last year than you knew the previous 10 years. Oh and by the way I will play with you anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the BEST dementor in the world!!!

    ReplyDelete