Monday, August 13, 2012

How is Moving Like Bridge?

 We have "moved house" as they say in England. I not only moved "house", I moved husband/partner and two cats. Surprisingly, the cats adapted better than husband/partner. This should not have been such a shock. After all, when I suggest that we look at Lebensol, his usual response is, "What's wrong stolen bid doubles? Everybody that plays Lebensol gets into bidding misunderstandings." You can imagine the response to "Let's sell the house and move." Are you kidding?

However, like our wonderful partnership, he compromised and we moved. Actually, our old house sold overnight, and we bought our new downsized garden home the next day. For a guy who likes a nice, well planned 3 NT hand which rolls in an orderly, well thought out fashion, this was chaos. At warp speed, like my usual play of the hand, I was on the phone to vendors of all sorts organizing the moving out and in process. I like to think I play my hand in a similar organized manner but, my better opponents and partners point out that the warp speed factor often results in disorganization instead. Begrudgingly, I have to admit they are correct. The problem is, if I go slower, I lose count of something. I'm not going into what I misplaced in the move and still haven't found. I'm not sure speed was the total problem though.

So, I haven't played much bridge for about 7 weeks. However, we did go to the Austin Fourth of July Regional for a few games. My favorite line of the week was in a Swiss game. After the first round, I went to our next assigned table where the previous occupants continued to reside. I politely pointed out that the assignments for the next round were on the machines. The guy looked at me and said, "You mean we have to MOVE??" He wasn't kidding.   I guess it was his first Swiss.







 

No comments:

Post a Comment