Thursday, November 17, 2011

Bridge Kids

Zach is a bridge whiz at eight years of age.  I call him the Mozart of bridge. He and 92 year old Bill Scarpero, (bridge harem Bill), played knockouts together at the last sectional.  As Bill wandered by me later in the day, he mumbled, "that kid is the strongest player in the room".  Having played against Zach and his Mom, Christy, several times, I agreed with him. 

Zach has a seven year old sister.  She is a slip of a girl who can easily "slip" behind players packed back to back in chairs.  Therefore, she is the perfect caddy.  When Director Tom asked her to pick up the entry slips one day when caddies weren't really needed she said, "Do I get paid?"  Tom laughed admiringly and paid her.  During a Swiss team event, my Tuesday partner Carol asked her if she were getting paid to caddy.  She answered, "Do you think I would do this if I weren't?"  She may not have her brother's bridge skills but she has a great future on Wall Street.

I mentioned to Zach that, should he continue to become a bridge master,  people would pay him to partner with them.  He said, "Do you think Eddie Wold would pay me?"  "Well", I replied, "maybe not Eddie but someone like me would."  He looked disappointed.  If I had his skills, I'd look disappointed with that news too.

They are a lovely family with great kids.  If you haven't played against him yet, you are in for a treat.  Watch Zach fly.

No comments:

Post a Comment