Sunday, November 1, 2009

All Hallow's Eve

or Hallowe'en as it is popularly known.  A wicked witch and a fat pumpkin sat North South as husband/partner (dressed as a Phillies' fan with hat and shirt) and I sat down.  Husband/partner passed and I opened a minor.  H/P named hearts and I, holding 4, named spades.  H/P pulled out his 2 Heart card and I bravely responded with my 2 NT card.  The passed hand raised me to 3 NT. Down one.  When I asked why a passed hand raised me, he said "I had 10 points and you kept bidding so I thought you were stronger".  The pumpkin and the witch, as usual, agreed with him.

So, I ask, what does one do when there is no match in any suit and one knows that 2 NT is clearly makeable; not bid it?  Bail out and pass with no match for partner's 5 hearts?  I didn't wish to continue the discussion with witchie poo and the pouffy orange thing so I fumed along to the next table.  I decided to take the hand to teacher Diane at the next supervised play session and ask her what I should have done.  As luck would have it, the stupid hand record says it made 3 hearts and 2 NT.  drat.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment